Friday, March 3, 2017

Beauty and the Beast-Shocking, but not Surprising


 I don't know about you all, but when I get obsessed with something, I get very fully obsessed. With Disney's new Beauty and the Beast, I almost memorized every trailer and clip Disney released, I watched many interviews with the cast, and had hour-long phone conversations about it; just obsessing.
 And now this...
 I suppose by now many of you have heard the news about this movie;One of the characters. Lefou, will be gay.
 I know it isn't really a big deal for some people. I know some people will enjoy this movie as much as Cinderella a few years ago. Some will turn a deaf ear to this situation. After all, we've learned to ignore the feminist undertones of movies like Brave, haven't we?
 Ignore, or accept it as normal? Isn't that just what they're going for anyway? Us thinking, "This is normal, this is okay?"
 And even if we'd never think this,what about all the kids going to see this movie? I know a mother, who can't, in good conscience, bring her little girl to Beauty and the Beast. Children are so trusting. Little kids, going to this movie, will probably do just what they wanted;accept this as normal and okay.
 I guess what makes me sad is that Disney has been making such good movies lately. I thought I knew that they had a main purpose; to give us sweet, wholesome movies that kids as well as their parents would enjoy.
 And perhaps that is still their main purpose. But now, it's like we've seen a little agenda they have going. It's like they're trying to feed us the "this is okay, this is normal" message, under the cover of a very sweet, very beautiful movie. It's just another place I can't trust anymore.
 Now, I not damning this movie. I'm not saying you shouldn't go see it. I have yet to decide if i'm still going. I'm just trying to warn you. Do what your conscience calls for.
And please, let me know your thought on the movie below.
Should Christians go to it?

P.S. For better written and more detailed articles related to this movie's new development, visit the links below.

6 comments:

  1. Yes Christians should go see this movie. Muslims, Jewish people, Catholics, Mormons, atheists, and Buddhists should go see this movie. Being gay is OK. People should be allowed to love anybody that they want. It saddens and disgusts me that such a lovely blogger like yourself looks down upon that. I do not look down upon you for being so concerned about somebody else's sexuality, I pity you. I feel bad that you do not feel comfortable seeing this movie with Lefou's sexuality is not a even a minor plot point in this movie. I'm so sorry that your way of thinking is so backwards you consider not even seeing this movie. It is sad how much you care about other people's own, personal business. I am so excited for young children to see this movie so the future generation will not be as homophobic as you are. I personally can not wait to go opening night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you come from? Are you a regular here?

      Delete
    2. Yes. My blog is Our AG Adventures.

      Delete
  2. Agreed. Definitely do as the Lord leads you.
    I, personally, think I might see it (eventually). It does make me sad to see that Disney has bowed before the almighty political correctness, but in many ways they fell a lot later than most other film producers. Seeing things like this will eventually become unavoidable, short of total isolation. God, however, is a pro at getting us through stuff like that (or else we'd all have been toast a long time ago). The early church had to deal with a lot worse than we do now, and they thrived, so there's always hope. :)
    Besides, this content is no less and no worse than any other bad content movies continually include. If we can find redeeming elements in other movies, I'm sure we can find some in this one.
    Still... sad... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's what I think. As a committed, Bible-believing Christian, I do not believe a gay, sexual lifestyle is right. But, I also believe that we live in a very broken world where sin is everywhere...including lots of kinds of sexual sin. Just like being tempted is not a sin, but rather how you act upon it can be, you can have same sex attraction and not act on it. It is something that can choose to do or not do. That is something that is true in hetersexual relationships too. Think of all the immorality that is in our culture. It is sad.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that that ALL of us are sinful people. The LGBT community is no less human then you are. Whether you agree with their beliefs or not, they are still human beings created in the image of God, and loved by God. As Christians, the Bible calls us to love everyone. No matter who are or what they believe. We don't have to agree with everything they do in order to love them.

    Also, I think it is important to remember that Disney, like most of Hollywood, is not Christian. They have no reason to believe that it is morally wrong, or something that they shouldn't include in their movies. My guess is that it won't be included in the movie very much, and if it is, it probably will be hinted at. I don't think that avoiding everything I don't agree with is healthy. You need to understand issues like this properly so that you can really understand what God says about that issue. That way, when it does arise, you can respond in a way that is honoring to God, but also loving to others.

    So, in the end, I will see the movie. And I encourage you to consider seeing it too. When I watch things that have messages that I don't agree with, I often have conversations with my family or other believers about it. I want to be discerning and careful to love all well for that is what Jesus did beautifully in his ministry!

    My advice would be this: pray for wisdom. This is a very complex issue, and there's no simple answer.

    I hope that that was beneficial to you in some way.

    I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your input!
    I realize, however, I didn't explain very well why I wouldn't go see it. It's sort of the same reason I don't go to Target much anymore. I don't want to support financially what I don't believe is right.
    On the other hand though, I've loved everything else I've seen about the movie. So right now I'm undecided. Just waiting until I see how far they take it.
    Thanks again!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete