Thursday, May 1, 2014

Our May Day Baskets

 Hi all! Today, as is our family custom, Marie and I exchanged May Day Baskets. I am guessing you do not know of our tradition so I shall tell you about it. 
 When Mommy was little, she read a book in which some of the characters, on May Day, exchanged baskets with flowers in them. She thought this a lovely idea and so we do it now. It was supposed to be early in the morning that we would pick the flowers and deliver the baskets, but at that time we were doing schoolwork so we waited a while. Finally, however, I was outside picking dandelions, since they were the flowers most readily available. Marie was picking flowers elsewhere.

 When we were both done, Marie-Grace and I sat on the lawn (or what Mommy hopes will be a lawn) and talked.

 Marie liked the flowers I had picked for her, even though they weren't as pretty as the ones she picked for me.
My point proven.
 Marie-Grace.
 "and so we laugh and talk all evening, which is totally bizarre..."  Sorry. Just a line from my favorite song in Frozen, but that's what this picture reminds me of.
Do you have family traditions?
How do you celebrate May Day?

2 comments:

  1. We don't do anything on May day, but May 2nd is my older sister's birthday and this year it falls on the performance of our play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libby-
    "For the First Time in Forever" is my fave song too! That is such a cowinkie-dinkie.
    ~Chrissa

    ReplyDelete