Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Our Trip Part 2: Our first day in Washington DC

 Hi all! This is Libby. So Marie and I have finished our Christmas break, and are going back to telling you all about our trip. We are sorry we are taking such a toads long time to "tell you all about it", but oh well, we're doing it now right? So anyway, the day after the last day we posted about (see HERE) we drove to Washington DC and got settled in with some relatives. The next morning we drove around almost till lunch looking for parking. Finally we found a small, free, parking lot over near the Jefferson memorial, right next to the river. We ate lunch there, watching all the planes come in ( by the way, if you have ever been to Washington DC you will know what I'm talking about. Planes always coming in, at this really constant rate like they are coming in then taking right back off again, just to come down yet again! I mean, goodness!) But anyway, going on.
 Here is a picture Marie took of one of the waterfalls in the FDR memorial. Isn't it pretty? I love waterfalls. So, we went here first. And I liked the waterfalls.
 And here, is a picture of Marie and I in front of one of the pools in the Korean War Veterans Memorial. I wanted to take dip in the pool but Dad said no.
 Next we went to the Lincoln memorial. I was so excited. It's super exciting for me to be at a place you have heard about and seen pictures of all your life. It looks almost like it does on the penny except you can barely see the Lincoln statue inside ( unlike on the penny) and of course, all the people. 
 It was a great, big, solemn feeling place inside. There was a little bookstore that I hadn't known about and Marie-Grace bought a postcard for her travel journal in it.
 Marie and I in front of the reflecting pool.
 On our way to the Washington monument, we stopped at this pool and watched the funny geese. We also met a girl named Isabelle who was very pretty and had cute pink highlights.
 As well as the pond, we also quickly stopped at the World War Two Memorial. It was really cool looking, but we didn't stay long. We were impatient to get to the Washington Monument.
 So we climbed all the way up there and when at the base, bent our necks almost at a right angle to see to the top. One of my main disappointments of the trip for me was that we were not able to get tickets to climb to the top. But, oh well.
 While we were still at the base of the Washington Monument, we saw a this helicopter come up. From the place it rose from, Dad guessed it came straight from the White House helipad. Is that cool or what?
 Since there was time before we needed to go to the car, we decided we would go to the National Museum of American History. It wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be, but I think we missed a lot of stuff, like the original ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz. I did like seeing the first lady's dresses though. That red one belonged to Mamie Eisenhower.
 On our way back to the car we stopped at the Jefferson memorial. It was really pretty but not especially memorable.
 That day was super memorable though. I love vacation.
Where do you like to take vacation?

3 comments:

  1. My fave place to vacation is anywhere with you, Libby! It was so fun spending time with you in Colorado a few years ago.
    ~Rissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went there one time when I was really little, I hardly remember it :) Looks like you had a good time! I love going to Florida or Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went there when I was young too! I don't remember it either.
      But I like going to Colorado.

      Delete